Senior Congress leader and former Nazira MLA Debabrata Saikia has strongly criticised the BJP-led Assam and Central governments for allegedly failing to provide adequate compensation and rehabilitation to victims of the devastating Dikhow river floods. Speaking at a press conference in Borduwar, Simaluguri, on August 19, Saikia said people in Nazira sub-division had been suffering since the floods began on July 19. He claimed that more than one million people had been affected and alleged that the government was conducting inadequate and discriminatory assessments of losses and relief. Saikia also criticised the government for failing to deliver on promises of a permanent solution to Assam’s recurring flood problem and alleged that illegal coal and stone mining had worsened the situation. He questioned whether the Rs 369 crore in financial assistance was sufficient to address the scale of losses suffered by flood victims. Although the administration has said around 28,000 victims have received assistance, Saikia demanded village-wise details of beneficiaries and relief distributed. He further claimed that local residents and voluntary organisations played a crucial role in providing relief during the initial days of the disaster. Citing Himachal Pradesh’s response to the 2023 floods, he called for stronger financial assistance and more effective rehabilitation measures for flood-affected families in Assam.
Congress Questions Adequacy of Assam Flood Relief
